Monday, September 23, 2013

Follow Up To Previous Post - I Need More Time

A couple of months ago I posed the question - Is there enough time? - in regards to some hobbies (and other responsibilities).  I might have found the answer - NO.

After work should be relaxation time.  However, I find myself stressed, especially at the first of the week because I am having to schedule in advance what I will be doing each evening.  That is no spontaneity. Will it be working out, mowing, fishing, golf, small group, or just watching TV.  Of course many involve a second shower on the day, so that plays a factor in decision making.  Essentially, I find myself scheduling my showers several days in advance and scheduling other activities around the showers.  It is strange, but it has become reality.

I do also work some of these activities in on the weekends, but then they get scheduled around certain football games (Saturdays only...I have given up on trying to remain interested in the NFL). 

Part of me knows this is ridiculous.  I should just choose one or two and let the others go.  Let us weigh pros & cons to each.

Working out - This is necessary for health reasons.  I am also beginning to see good results.  Therefore, that one has to stay. (always requires an extra shower afterward)

Mowing - This needs to be done at least once a week.  Nature usually dictates which day is best.  I have to be careful, though, because it can't fall on a workout day.  I won't have the energy for a good exercise sesson after mowing.  I can't work out before mowing because of the diminishing daylight.  Unfortunately, but this one definitely has its place. I don't want a nasty-gram from the HOA. (always requires an extra shower afterward)

Fishing - This is my lifelong hobby, so it will always have a spot in the rotation.  Plus, I have hundreds (if not thousands) of dollars wrapped up in equipment.  It would be stupid to not use it. (sometimes requires an extra shower afterward)

Golf - This is the newest one, but it seems to be getting the nod more often than not.  I have to schedule this one around working out too (otherwise I won't be able to move the next day).  Since my company is supplying the means for lessons, I feel like I need to give this one top priority.  I realize the importance in practice since I have several instances in the near future where I will be playing with others.  If I don't practice, it will be embarrassing and frustrate the others. On top of that, I have spent some money on equipment, so I need to justify its use. (sometimes requires an extra shower afterward)

Small Group (church) - This one is not really a choice.  We meet every other week.  It does not require an extra shower, but it does take up the entire evening.  That is not to be meant as a complaint.  I love our new small group and the time we spend diving into God's word and purpose for our lives.

TV - This one used to be the only one on the list with fishing.  I enjoy this because there is no shower required, and I get to be with my wife.  She is usually engrossed in something on the laptop while I watch our DVRed shows, but she is still in the same room.

Miscellaneous - One evening a month, I have a commitment to a municipal board in my city.  I also like to work in a game of pool every once in a while to try to sharpen those skills.  This is not even mentioning the other necessities of helping keep the house clean, laundry, meal preparation, etc...


I state all of these hobbies, responsibilities, and obligations only to say that in a few months they will all be priority #2 behind the baby that is currently in development.  Maybe I find myself scrambling to get as much accomplished as possible now because I know that my golf clubs and fishing rods will gather some dust this spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment