Tuesday, August 20, 2013

New Awareness, New Friends

Growing up as the son of a pastor and being around "church" all my life, I learned early how important it is to grow strong connections with other Christians.  Those connections are there for you to celebrate joyous times and to help get through the hard times.  Before our last move, we were blessed to have several other couples and families with whom we connected at least once a week for Bible study and fellowship.  People who started off as complete strangers became close friends.  I knew I could call on them for anything just as they could call on me.  Jennifer and I will hopefully always have a close connection with those individuals. 

The downside came when we moved.  We tried a few churches, but our hesitation to commit was due to our fear of not being able to match a small group like we had before.  When exploring new church home options, you consider several things.  The pastor is important.  The worship is important.  The missions are important.  You can get a feel of the doctrine from the website.  Our biggest issue was the small group options.  It is in the small group in the past where we saw our relationship grow in Christ.

After praying about it, we feel like we have found our new church home.  We also took a leap and contacted a small group leader.  They already had three families.  Would we feel like outsiders coming in to mix up their current dynamic and comfort zone?  How would they accept us?  Exploring small groups is not as easy as it might appear.

We have now met with this group on two separate occasions. I can honestly say that we felt welcomed from the very first handshake.  These families are warm and caring.  There appears to be a variety of backgrounds, but that is what helps us grow our own cultural awareness.  We can never change our past, but we can learn from the past of others that might have taken a different path.  I am excited about the opportunity to get to know these people and allow them to get to know us.

While I have already learned that each family has had its own unique set of life-changing events, I am pleased to be able to share the story of one.  I hope they do not mind that I share this.  This is the story of triumph through extreme difficulty.  It shows how focus on God and His plan can overcome circumstances that would cause a lot of people to give up.  I am proud to now know these two, and I look forward to getting to know them more in the years to come. 

If you do not want to be inspired, DO NOT WATCH THIS VIDEO.  Otherwise, be ready to be proud as an American, a Christian, and a human being.  Enjoy....http://youtu.be/YRpeEl2Fzto

No comments:

Post a Comment