Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Organizing Fishing Tackle Without A Boat

As most of you know, the wife and I moved into a new house in January.  My fishing equipment was pretty well organized at the previous house, but this gave me a new opportunity to start over and do it right. I am always making small tweaks and changes, but overall I am pleased with the finish product.

I see posts on forums all the time that involve fisherman asking other fisherman how they organize their equipment and tackle, especially when they do not have a boat.  Below is a brief explanation and show of how I do it.
First of all, I am blessed with a small cutout in the back of my garage that gives good space for this equipment.  The opening actually continues to the left behind the wall and curves around behind the wall with the rods.

Pegboards are a very inexpensive and flexible way to organize anything in the garage.  These days, you can find all sorts of peg-based fixtures to house a variety of items.  I chose to utilize the pegs for items that are difficult to store in my normal boxes.  There are also lots of items that do not exactly fit into a general category that I might already have organized.



Next, you will notice the actual tackle boxes.  Acquiring these can add up over time, but to me they are key.  I found the storage racks that help keep them in line and make it easy to pull one from the middle without the hassle of moving others.  I received a label maker for Christmas a few years back and have put it to good use.  If you do not have a label maker, a sharpie on tape can work.  I have also used mailing labels.  They can put into a printer, and the desired text can be entered into Excel.

Finally, it is very important to store rods and reels so that the rod is not being damaged.  There are several types of rod holders on the market.  I use Berkley.  They are very simply constructed using plastic and foam. I believe they were less than $10 each.  I currently use four sets.  It is important to allow space between each rod for the reels.  Each of these particular holders can fit six rods, but I limit most to only four.  The six rod capacity is for rods without reels.
 

4 comments:

  1. Fishing rod holders are handy accessories for a perfect fishing pursuit or experience. It is one of the must-have accessories for successful fishermen – be it helping while fighting with your fish or just needing a break with snacks and drinks while fishing. http://www.fishingtriptips.com/fishing-rod-holders/ To ease the functions, there are varieties of fishing rod holders. The holders can be categorized by different criteria. http://www.fishingtriptips.com/fishing-rod-holders/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found this, where did you find the racks for holding your tackle boxes? Very nicely done on the organization!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you. I got these racks at Cabela's a few years ago. I think I've seen them at Bass Pro and/or Academy recently. They can hang on a wall or easily be set on a shelf.

    ReplyDelete